Beat Fat With Breakfast
By Holly Rigsby, CPT
Breakfast is easily the most overlooked solution when it comes to effective fat burning tips. Studies consistently show that people, who regularly eat breakfast, eat fewer calories throughout the day, have better nutritional habits, and weigh less than those who choose to skip breakfast.
When it comes to your fat loss, your goal is to make your body burn more calories. Your metabolism is like a burning fire, how can you make the fire burn stronger without putting something on it to burn? Our bodies are burning fat and calories 24 hours a day, however, calories are burned at the slowest rate while we are sleeping. Without something to jump-start it in the morning, your metabolism may remain in slow motion throughout the day and any extra calories – no matter how healthy - will be stored as fat.
The act of eating and digesting supportive foods frequently, increases your metabolism so you can burn more fat and calories all day long.
How to do it: Eat a supportive meal within an hour of waking. Feel like your always running late? No time to eat? The secret – get up 10-20 minutes earlier and keep it simple. Not only can you increase time spent with your family at the kitchen table, but making time to start your day off with a high protein, high fiber breakfast will boost your metabolism, your energy and your mood. Because breakfast provides you with the energy you need to get through your day, the more energy you have, the more active you'll be and the more active you are, the more calories you burn.
If you are not hungry first thing in the morning, try starting your day with a big glass of water or freshly brewed green tea. Proceed with your morning routine and plan to allow yourself about 10-15 minutes before you walk out the door to eat your breakfast.
If you like to exercise first thing in the morning, eat 30 to 45 minutes before your workout.
Try one of the following options:
1. Eat a light snack – yogurt or a piece of fruit. Eat your regular breakfast 30-45 minutes after your workout.
2. Eat half of your regular breakfast before the workout and the other half about 30-45 minutes after your workout.
3. Drink a meal replacement shake – quick and easy to make and for your body too digest.
Watch out for "Protein/Breakfast Bars". Many of these items seem appealing for they are quick and easy; however the majority of these bars are loaded with sugar and fat. Check the nutrition facts.
Here are some breakfast fat loss favorites: Cereal is a MUST. It's convenient, easy to prepare, easy to eat and full of nutrients – No…"Whole Grain Lucky Charm" does not fall into this category. Be sure to choose your cereals based on the information on the food label.
The top choices should have:
• 5 grams of Fiber or more
• 8 grams of Sugar or LESS
• Sugar not listed among the first 3 ingredients.
For all other breakfast options, be sure to include a protein, complex carbohydrate, and fresh or frozen fruit. These are some of my favorites:
• Oatmeal with natural peanut butter, cinnamon and a side of fresh berries.
• Kashi Go Lean Crunch with skim milk and a banana.
• Scrambled egg whites topped with salsa and shredded cheese wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla.
• Meal Replacement Shake with a piece of fruit.
So if you're interested in fat loss, make sure you don't forget – breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
Holly Rigsby, CPT, MAT America’s #1 Fat Loss Expert for Busy Moms and the author of www.FitYummyMummy.com. Holly has worked with over 300 Mom's to help them lose the stubborn baby fat, get their pre-baby body back and reclaim their yummy-ness. Don't miss her Free Report: Top 5 Busy Mom Metabolism Boosters.
Check out some good Fitness Products .
- The Perfect Time to Begin your Fat Loss Program
- Top 3 Reasons WHY More Moms are NOT “into” Resistance Training
- Busy Mums Burn More Fat With Breakfast
- The Truth about How to Burn Holiday Fat
- 7 Surefire Strategies to Avoid the Dreaded Holiday Bulge
- Flat Stomach Secrets For Women
- Fat Loss, One A Day At A Time
- Three Easy Ways To Lose Weight
- Beat Fat With Breakfast
- The Magic Potion For Fat Loss
- 7 Fat Loss Strategies For Busy Moms
- 10 Changes To Your Diet That Will Instantly Make it 90% Better